Sunday, September 23, 2018

One Mile from East Portal of the Alpine Tunnel

I have been wanting to try out using a drone, so this summer I rented one and used it in a couple of different spots near the Alpine Tunnel.

The video below is a mix of drone footage and photos.  This shows a portion of the grade just after it exits from roughly 2 miles of wooded right-of-way and begins to cling to the mountainside before reaching the eastern portal of the tunnel.  I've always loved this section of the roadbed.  I, of course, love the western side of the pass too, but because the east side was never converted for auto traffic, you can feel the narrow-ness of the grade a bit more.  This was one of my first uses of a drone so please pardon the jerky motion of parts of the video.






Historical photos:
1. James Ehernberger Colleciton
2. Tom Miller Collection

2 comments:

Nick Sheridan said...

Thanks - loved the drone... anyone done that for the RGS route?

Denver said...

I'm glad you liked it! I did do some more drone footage in the area and I'll post it the future, but I wish I had done even more. I don't know if anyone has done any drone shots of the RGS. A quick search on Youtube didn't turn up anything. There is some cool drone footage of the C&S Central City right-of-way though here: http://alpinetunnel.blogspot.com/2017/10/drone-footage-of-c-right-of-way-in.html