Sunday, October 7, 2018

Riding the C&S grade through Pitkin, Colorado 2018

This is a mixture of photos and video of Pitkin, Colorado from 2018 alongside early 1900's photos.  Pitkin, founded in 1879 was the first mining camp to the west of the Continental Divide.  The Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad tunneled through the Divide in the early 1880s, eventually traveling straight through the center of Pitkin, where extensive railroad facilities existed to feed and service hungry engines after surviving the mountain trek on their way to Gunnison or preparing for their assault on the range on their way to Denver.  Eventually, the DSP&P would become the Colorado & Southern Railway.

The C&S would abandon the tunnel in 1910 leaving Pitkin stranded from rail service.  Trackage from Gunnison in the west to Pitkin would be given to the Denver & Rio Grande who operated the stub line into the 1930s before finally pulling the rails.

Credits:
Photos 1 & 2: H.L. Curtiss Photo - James Ehrenberger Collection
Photo 3: Pitkin Historical and Community Association
Map: C&S 1918 ICC Valuation Map - Colorado Railroad Museum
All the above from: Tom and Denise Klinger's South Park's Gunnison Division Memories & Then Some, 2012

Railroad audio is from: Sounds of Steam Locomotives No. 3: Colorado Narrow Gauge Stack Music. "Three Little Engines and 33 Cars."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That should be EAST to ALPINE Tunnel from Pitkin

Denver said...

Doggone it-you're right! Gotta fix that.

Unknown said...

That is totally awesome. Been through Pitkin several times and spent a night there but learned more on the video than in all my visits. Excellent work!
Joe Nichols, Jr.
Member, DSP&P Historical Society
Atlanta, GA

Denver said...

Thanks! I had been through Pitkin before too, but I got a much better sense of the town this time. The drive down State Street on the old ROW really gave me a better sense of the C&S route. Also, we camped just east of town and stopped in at the general store several times and got to 'chew the fat' with several locals. I'll eventually get around to writing a post with what I learned from them. I took lots of notes so I could remember it all.

Anonymous said...

Nice video, thanks for posting. Have been to Pitkin also on the way to the Tunnel. Hope they can fix the grade on the Palisades so that we can see the Tunnel area once again. A little to far to hike round trip for the pleasure of seeing it again.

Charles

Denver said...

I completely agree about the palisades. My family also missed out on making it to the West Portal because of the walk. One of my daughters and I made it to the station, but had to hustle back without seeing the portal or turntable because we had to get our rental back on time.

dave said...

Thanks for these videos,I'm making a 3d sim version of the DSPP between Pitkin and Nathrop and as I live in Australia, these are invaluable for me in enabling me to make the route. I have most books on the line, but noticed you have a town plan for Pitkin, where did you manage to get this item ? Is it an ICC plan ?

Denver said...

Hi Dave, a 3d sim version sounds really cool! I'd love to see it. My map is from a C&S 1918 ICC Valuation Map that I bought through the Colorado Railroad Museum. It comes rolled up in a tube and follows the entire stretch you're looking for. If it's still available it would be a great asset to the work you're doing.