Tuesday, January 15, 2019

East Portal of Alpine Tunnel by Drone

This video was one of my first with a drone (technically my 3rd. First time was a practice, second time was a quick one) so it is certainly lacking in drone proficiency.  My angle was too "straight down, " I had no idea why some of it was so blurry, and my camera movements were jerky.  With all that out of the way...sorry about that.

However, it is the first drone of the eastern tunnel entrance that I am aware of and shows the rock slide area above the portal and how it has fallen over the years.  There is a short jaunt over the side of the ROW fill near the tunnel.  I had hoped to recognize some of the debris down there, but alas, the footage was blurry.  A few later clips show a spot farther east along the shelf right-of-way with some rock cribbing I hadn't noticed on previous trips.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice. What done did you use? I recently got a Yuneec Manta, hope to do similar things this summer.

Denver said...

Hi MIke, I used a Mavic Pro. I rented it to try it out and have since purchased it. It was nice and compact-easy to store in a backpack for hiking. How is the Yuneec Manta? I look forward to your footage next summer!