Sunday, November 29, 2015

New sign at West Portal of Alpine Tunnel

As much as I'd like to be a frequent visitor to the Alpine Tunnel, I realize it ain't gonna happen; so, I have to live vicariously through what I find online.

I found this pic of an interpretive sign very close to the west portal.  I don't know how long it has been there, so forgive me for calling it "new".  Several people have remarked that they knew it was there in 2014 so it is at least a year old or possibly more.

The sign has the iconic photo of a loco in the 1890s emerging from the portal when no snowshed existed there.

Thanks to Steve Schweighofer, treasure for the DSP&P historical society, I now have a close-up of the sign taken in 2014.  Thanks, Steve!


As a note of curiosity, I think the date of the last train is untrue.  I will post an essay soon explaining my reasoning for a later date for the last train.

No comments: