Saturday, March 28, 2015

Relic from Alpine Tunnel?

In the summer of 1990 at the age of 14 my family took a trip to Colorado and visited the Alpine Tunnel for the first time.  While hiking back from the West Portal, somewhere around the first bend after leaving the engine house complex, my dad found this nut and bolt off the side of the right-of-way.  I took it home and for years displayed it near my model train set as a "rail joiner".  (my mention in the picture of it being found "east of alpine" is a bit off too.  I suppose it would be south of the west portal complex).

I'm very curious if anyone out there who knows more about narrow gauge track hardware could identify this object as being either related to the railroad or just some piece of junk that fell off some guy's 4-wheel drive.








No comments: