Sunday, January 17, 2016

Mason Bogies with bear trap stacks and butterfly snowplows!

So, my wife and I started watching a documentary film called America: Imagine the World Without Her, and while the early credits animation is going on, one of them involves two locomotives meeting at Promontory, Utah.  Oddly though, one engine looks like a Mason Bogie with a bear trap stack!

Isn't this bizarre?!  First of all, we all know that the combination is anachronistic.  Mason Bogies and the DSP&P were already gone before the C&S started using these odd spark arrestors.

But, I'm also surprised by the details.  Whenever I see commercialized train drawings I roll my eyes because they bear no resemblance to real locomotives, but here is obviously someone who took an image of a Mason Bogie, but also added a specifically Colorado & Southern bear trap stack!  To top it off, the butterfly snowplow continues the C&S/DSP&P hybrid.

The bear trap stack in particular makes me wonder.  Unless you know or have seen something about the C&S narrow gauge you would never think to add that kind of contraption to a random train graphic that is only on the screen for 3 seconds.

Needless to say it was a curiosity!!

4 comments:

A.J. said...

Where did you happen across this, if you don't mind my asking?

For the most part what you say is true, however after careful study the first locomotive used on the C&S narrow gauge was a ex-DSP&P Mason Bogie. That said it didn't last very long and was scrapped shortly thereafter.

However I had made a "What-If" drawing of a 'modernized' Mason Bogie if it had survived up through the 1920s or 30s, and the one shown here looks suspiciously like the one I drew! And I have the original hard copy to prove it.

Denver said...

Sorry for the late reply. I saw the image in passing in the movie America: Imagine the World Without Her. It's a documentary. This shot occurs during the opening credits.

A.J. said...

Do you know what network aired this and or what channel?

Denver said...

Hi A.J., it came out in theaters in 2014. You can stream it from Amazon, iTunes, Youtube or others I think. Here's the official site when you can buy a DVD of it: https://www.dineshdsouza.com/films/america/
Hope that helps.