Sunday, May 17, 2015

Updates to the Alpine Tunnel area

I just stumbled upon a site managed by a group called IAWC: Interpretive Association of Western Colorado.  Their site has some new photos of updated interpretive signs and displays on the western slope of Alpine Pass.

I was most impressed by this photo below showing a reconstruction of the interior of the tunnel.


I can't quite tell where this is located.  It appears to be on the grade between the Alpine Tunnel station and the west portal.

They also have many new interpretive signs along the route.



They also have pictures showing Tunnel Gulch tank in a much better condition than I last found it.

Finally, I'm not sure what this last pictures is showing.  It looks like the tunnel structure mid-construction, yet the setting appears different from the completed one.  Maybe it was built in pieces elsewhere, moved to another site, and assembled.  Not sure.  On the other hand, it has three vertical beams, while the complete one in the first photo on this post only has two.
Enjoy these improvements to a place many of us love so much!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's really great to see so much effort to keep this historic landmark intact.

Anonymous said...

I agree. My impression is that the Rio Grande has a lot more fans to keep its memory alive, so I get a little worried that the South Park may not have the same vitality. But then when I see stuff like this, I'm really encouraged that the DSP&P will continue for generations to come!