Thursday, October 5, 2023

The Ties Left Behind at Alpine Tunnel - part 4

In this final post on the ties remaining between Hancock and the east portal of Alpine Tunnel, we see several long stretches of remaining ties particularly as we get close to Hancock.



Here it seems that the hillside is encroaching a bit on the ties on one side.

Here is my family with my wife leading the way walking over a well-preserved stretch.


Here is one more look at this stretch of 100+ year old South Park railroad ties.  


One more photo for fun in about the same spot as two photos up.  Here I am back in 2003 in my first adult visit to Alpine Tunnel, this time with my wife and before the kiddos came along.  And I still had hair...



2 comments:

Paul R. said...

That is an excellent collection of photos for someone who will never visit the area . good for modelling to get the colours right. Paul R.

Denver said...

I'm glad it's helpful, Paul. The major difference I have seen compared to operational years is there were a lot less trees. I assume many were cut down for the railroad and other mining uses.