Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Following the C&S Ry. from St. Elmo to Alpine/Fisher-video

A few years back my family and my in-laws went to a Christian family camp called Trail West just outside of Buena Vista.  One day we were all taken on a jeep ride (we got to drive ourselves which was a blast) on a jeep road which ended in St. Elmo.  After a stop there to walk around and feed chipmunks we headed back via the old South Park right-of-way.  This is a video of the stretch east from just outside of St. Elmo to the townsite of Alpine, later renamed Fisher.  I mostly point out the spot on the line as noted in the railroad overlay on Google Earth (you can find this overlay on the dspphs.org site-It's an awesome tool!).  Unfortunately, I didn't know of many specific photos from railroad operation days except at Fisher.  At Fisher I put in some Then and Now images that line up fairly well with my view from our jeep.  

Enjoy!


Here's a video from farther east showing some of the grade from the Cascades area.

No comments: