Friday, March 5, 2021

Following the C&S from Pitkin to Quartz (video)

On my last trip to the Alpine Tunnel our family rented two ATVs to ride up to the west portal.  I've found lots of videos of the route from Woodstock to facilities ahead of the tunnel, but not as many of the earlier stretches of right-of-way.  With a GoPro mounted on the roof of our ATV I was able to capture the ride on the old DSP&P/C&S right-of-way starting in Pitkin.  

This video covers the stretch from Pitkin to the townsite of Quartz, following in the "footsteps" of eastbound C&S mixed train 93.  Some historical photos and sites are highlighted along the way, as is the terrain traversed by the railroad.  


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks! I watched it twice, and will again.

Keep it up! The format with periodic map window in corner works fine.

Denver said...

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I've always enjoyed maps and it's fun to use Google maps to give a sense of the location and terrain the C&S traversed.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised at the amount of tangent track there must have been. When you think of the C&S you envision just a series of one curve after another.

Denver said...

I agree. I actually thought the same thing. I wonder if there was more curvature to the railroad here, maybe not extreme in this location, but when converted to road use it was straightened. Just a guess.